One of the first things that grabbed my attention was the brief history of the Art Deco movement. As I love the architecture (I still say the Chrysler Building is by far the most magnificent testament to this era) and especially lighting I was eager to soak up the facts:
- The style came of age between the two world wars, specifically in the April of 1925.
- Although it has modernist origins it is highly informed by traditional design.
- It is characterised by taut geometric lines and arches.
Caitlin McGauley painting illustrating the era on pp 63 & 64
While the colours/patterns are not for me, I LOVE these gigantic floor cushions.
I thought Ruthie Sommers tips for transforming a fixer-upper on p157 were great:
- Buy great artwork.
- Fill it with things you love.
- Create tablescapes and collect books.
- Seek out high-quality investment pieces.
- Throw many a party with lots of happy people.
I like the thought/presentation that's gone into this drinks tray.
I'm a little bit crazy about these mirrored frames.
And that sadly was it :( Am happy to be proven wrong if you can point out anything fab that I've missed but until then I wait patiently for an improvement in the next issue.