So as I cleanse here are some of my favourite tips from the experts*:
1. Tackle messes one room at a time - sounds sensible.
2. Everyone seems to agree that scheduling regular decluttering sessions is the way to stay on top of any imploding clutter - they say 15 minutes a day should do it.
3. Sort with 3 boxes, 1 to throw, 1 to donate and 1 to keep. This way you are forced to make a decision about each item as you come to it.
4. Don't allow things into the house in the first place - I must say I do try to take a stand with the junk mail (so instead it sits on my lawn for 3 weeks ha ha).
5. Whenever your boiling the kettle for a cuppa, tidy up the kitchen - doable.
6. If you haven't worn an item of clothing in 6 months sell or donate - even the skinny jeans I know I can fit into again?!
7. Have someone else who's not attached to your stuff help you sort through things - nothing quite like the brutal honesty of a friend.
8. Stop buying new items - sigh.
9. Let go, it's just stuff.
10. For the things you can't let go of (and that's OK where people not machines), find a place in your home that is worthy of the objects value to you.